Monday, January 18, 2016

“Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you’ll look back and realize they were the big things!”

Blown transmission. Cost to fix the transmission. All errands only a vehicle can help you do.  Feeling frustrated and depress. All makes for a terrible start to anyone's day. That's how my Friday morning went.  

Half way through the day I realized Lota has a choir audition later that day.  I also found out that I didn't confirm the appointment so I need to find a new time. I have read and heard from many people that music does wonders for the brain especially a brain that is trying to heal. Besides, Lota has really taken to music as his way to deal with a lot of his anxiety, frustration and depression. I had asked Lota when I first heard about this kids choir whether he wanted to join.  His answer was a very excited "YES!"


So this audition was very important for Lota.  


But by 4:30pm I wasn't feeling like going anywhere or asking anyone for a ride. 

As I started telling myself all the reasons why we can't make it to audition - from my car being down, to me being frustrated and a bit down about things, to it's cold outside,  I had a clear thought pop in my head that said -

 "Go! Lota needs this!

I quickly got on the website to see if theres any audition spots open.  Luckily there was one in an hour.  I called  out to Lota and my other kids. 

We are walking", I said.  


“Where?” 

“To your choir audition”. 

I decided last minute to sign Lota's oldest and youngest sisters to try out too.

Lota was quick putting on his shoes and coat.  All but one child came along for our trek in the snow.  My biggest concern was this one busy street that we needed to cross to get to audition. But when I saw the spring in Lota’s steps, I knew this was what we needed to do.  


Right when we got to that busy road, a van made a U turn and a sweet couple asked if we needed a ride.  At first I turned it down since I can literally see the building from where we were standing. But as I was walking away from them, I had a strong feeling to accept the ride. I quickly realized that I can not turn down blessings for them too. My heart smiled with gratitude for that small but beautiful reminder.  So we hopped in. 

Once I got out of the van, I looked at the time and realized we barely made it in time.  I felt so grateful for this sweet couple.  We Thank them for the ride and off to auditon we went. Lota and his sisters audtioned and were all very happy to be accepted.  


Poppah picked us up and the kids were so excited to tell him all about their experience.  We went to Poppah and Nana’s place where Nana was waiting with grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup to keep our bellies warm and happy.  My heart smiled with gratitude. 

The kids are so excited to be part of this wonderful kids choir.  

Looking back I realized it was the small things that made a difference in my day and in the end they became the big things for me.  

It was a small thought in my head that told me to go to audition.  It was a sweet couple that took a few small minutes out of their day, to stop for us and allowed us to get to audition on time. I was the spring in Lota’s steps that helped motivate me to keep on going.  It's was Nana's simple but delicious grille-cheese sandwiches and warm tomato soup that put the perfect ending to my not so perfect day. 

If you find yourself having one of those terrible days like mine, start paying attention to the small and simple things as your "bad day" goes along.  You will be surprise to see how the small things add up to make the biggest difference in your day.  As we maneuver through this chapter of our lives, we are learning that life is truly filled with little tiny miracles. Our day to day happiness is determined by how willing we are to look up and see them.  






No comments:

Post a Comment